2013年1月21日星期一

Lillian F. Schwartz


Although I noticed that there was classmates already wrote about LillianF. Schwartz, but I felt like her work does catch my attention the most. She was born in 1927 in America. During the World War II, she was training in anatomy and biology. Both of this education background would be find in her most famous work Mona/Leo(1987).

 

Comparing to other people who believing that the Mona Lisa is a self-portrait of Leonardo Da Vinci, Schwartz showed this idea using her anatomy and biology knowledge. Although she made none of this two work, the idea of combination proved her imagination. Besides, I believe this work showed the private idea of “Photoshop”. PS was not developed until 1988. Lillian Schwartz first noticed that the play with the existing artwork with computer could also create a new one.

Today, people would universally recognize her as a pioneer of computer-mediated art. But the most important lesson I learned from her experience and this work is that any education background which seems not directly connected to the art could left a interesting mark in artists’ work.

2 条评论:

  1. I agree that Schwartz's experimental art is interesting from both an artistic and biological perspective! I didn't know she was well versed in anatomy/biology. It must have helped her reveal subtle compositional differences between people's faces.

    回复删除
  2. Mona/Leo has a very interesting back story that I don't think I payed enough attention to in the reading. Oddly enough it does seem to be a precursor to photoshop though I never would have though of it that way if you hadn't mentioned it. There are a great number of famous artworks in the world that somehow or other involve the Mona Lisa even including one that simply has a mustache drawn over her upper lip. Yet this piece strikes me as the most intuitive for the very same reason you mentioned; it was imaginative.

    回复删除